- Ministries & Programs
- Youth Ministry
- WAC (Wednesday’s at Calvary)
- Christian Education
- Music Ministry
- Outreach Ministry
- Community Events
- Prayer Ministry
- Stewardship & Giving
Calvary’s roots run strong and deep, dating back to 1889, when Reverend M. E. McLinn began preaching in a lumber shed on Newport Hill (now known as Flag Marsh Road, overlooking the B&O railroad tracks). A congregation was formed in 1890, with 17 charter members. In 2014 a group of ambitious film makers embarked on the task of saving this story for future generations.
The original facility caught on fire in 1904, and a new structure was built on Woodbine Road for $2,400. Over the years, the church membership continued to expand and new additions were built to meet the demands of a growing congregation.
In 1980, the congregation voted unanimously to build a new church. In 1981, property was purchased on Old Frederick Road. By 1984, the new church building was completed.
Through the years, Calvary has been ministered to by 17 pastors and numerous supply pastors. The founding pastor, Reverend McLinn, served the congregation two different times—and his grandson, Pastor Donald Clare, also answered the call to serve.
More than one hundred years have gone by with so many changes, but some things remain the same: our love for Christ and our love for each other. We invite you to be part of our family. Come grow in Christ with us.
Calvary’s 125th Anniversary Celebration
- Commemorative Cookbook for sale at the Christmas market on November 21, 2014. The is a 300 page book with various recipes from the members of Calvary Lutheran Church.
- Are you interested in how Calvary got started? Be sure to join us on Sunday, January 11, 2015 when we debut our re-enactment film of the founding of Calvary Lutheran Church.
- Service on January 18, 2015 with the Bishop of The Delaware/Maryland Synod preaching. A luncheon will follow.
- Look for out for an “Old Fashioned” Community Picnic hosted by Calvary Lutheran Church, to say ‘Thank You” to our local friends and neighbors who have so kindly supported Calvary in the past. This will be in late July of 2015.
- Just in time for Christmas 2015, we will offer a commemorative Christmas Ornament in the Fall of 2015 for purchase. They will adorn an Anniversary Christmas tree in our Narthex for the Advent/Christmas season of 2015.
- Join us for a wrap -up of our year long celebration at our Advent/Christmas Program in early December 2015.
Be sure to on the look lout for some other exciting things to be happening in 2015 to celebrate our 125 years.